Random Unsettling Thoughts

Or are they?

My day job sometimes gets the best of me. I'm a job coach. I work with veterans and help them become "job ready," if you will. I teach them how to prepare for a job outside of the military. Resume writing, what to expect in an interview, how to present themselves, and so on. I even help them become better and more effective at job searching. That's where these sometimes unsettling thoughts come into my mind.

Did I do the right thing in college?
Did I choose the right major?
Did I do my "experiential learning" (internship) correctly?

Adventures In Hindsight | cd ~Ideally, theoretically, I should be working for the State Department. Seriously! As incredulous as it sounds! I remember in-processing with the Navy and them damn near insisting I go into intelligence and become an interpreter. Guess what language choices they were giving me? Russian and Arabic! I would have jumped all over that had I not been a 19 year old married girl not wanting to spend 2 anniversaries away from her husband. That was 1992. We've been divorced since 1996.


So, reviewing federal jobs I came across a position that would have been perfect! So perfect! But I don't meet a couple of the qualifications. State Department. Yes. As a Social Science Analyst. I never thought of using a History degree as a Social Science Analyst. Gives me another occupation to consider. But I still have that other nag in my mind: you're just not good enough. Lack of relevant qualifications. Lack of relevant work experience. Lack of self-esteem. I digress...

Don't get me wrong. I love my job. I love working with the veteran community. My community. And I equally love being a teacher; a professor at a college. If I could do that full time, I would. Sometimes though, when I am doing job searches for my vets, those random, unsettling thoughts creep in and they get to me. 

I'll go back to daydreaming about a certain Russian to get my mind off reality, lol! And to my readers who are celebrating Orthodox Easter this weekend:

Happy Orthodox Easter

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Holi-versary Giveaway!

It's My Turn!!!

Memorial Day~~~Giveaway