Proverbs & Adultery

Continuing in my journey through Proverbs, I have completed chapters 5-7. The primary message is a warning against sin; and especially adultery. This one really hits close to home for me on a couple of different levels, neither of which I will get into here. Keeping in the theme of wisdom, the speaker (I am thinking it's Solomon) is warning his son to stay away from promiscuity. And to not share his "water" with the public. This meaning his wife with another man or men. In my NIV Study Bible, the notes to Proverbs 5:15 says "Let your own wife be your source of pleasure, as water refreshes a thirsty man." I really like the notes that coincide with the verses as they can give a better understanding.

He goes on to state that a man who falls into the trap of an adulteress entraps himself. He really has no one to blame but himself for not heeding to the knowledge imparted on him. God made the Commandments very clear "Thou shalt not commit adultery" and "Thou shalt not covet thy neighbor's wife." (Deut 5:18 and 21 (NIV), respectively).

Going back to what I mentioned earlier, this is probably THE worst sin I ever committed in my lifetime. I have no excuses. I felt guilty. I asked for forgiveness, not just from GOD, but from the man I sinned against. (Ok, maybe not the worst since I broke the first commandment long before I broke the other one).

Further reading brings to light what many might call the "Seven Deadly Sins" in Chapter 6:
Don't let this confuse you, but these are things considered sinful to the Lord. However, if you read Galatians, you will find the "true" sins there: Lust, Greed, Sloth, Gluttony, Envy, Pride, Wrath. These are things which the Lord clearly states one will not inherit the Kingdom of Heaven/God. Yet, we are raised that the only way to Heaven is belief in the Lord Jesus Christ and His salvation.


I guess if you tried to line them up it is possible that both books say the same thing. What do you think?

Proverbs is indeed a difficult book to study. It gives me pause for reflection not just on the Word, but on my life. As if I need to reflect on it anymore, but it's always good to do a little soul-searching and try to understand what the Lord is trying to tell me. I may not hear His voice come through loud and clear like I wish, but I am certain He is guiding me along the way.

Gives me a warm fuzzy feeling!

Comments

Decor To Adore said…
Such goodness to ponder. Proverbs is actually one of my favorite books of the bible.

Popular posts from this blog

Holi-versary Giveaway!

It's My Turn!!!

Memorial Day~~~Giveaway