Proverbs

During Bible Study conversation this past Sunday, it was brought up about a challenge someone did on reading the book of Proverbs. The idea is to read a chapter each day and repeat each month over the course of the year. Of course, some months will have a day or so with doubled up reading, but it seems doable! The purpose is to see what is learned or derived from our reading that we didn't necessarily "see" before when reading Proverbs.

So, I accepted that challenge for myself and my own understanding of the Proverbs. Even though I have read the book several times during my life, most recently earlier this year...

...I started tonight.

For the most part, it seems that the Proverbs primarily discuss the topics of wisdom and knowledge. More closely, it's our acceptance of wisdom and knowledge. Closer still, the wisdom and knowledge of the Lord. We grow up learning that the Lord is THE way, THE truth, and THE life. The words contained within the Bible are THE word of God spoken through a messenger. The messenger being Abraham, Noah, Moses, Joseph, Solomon, and so on.

Jesus being the final Messenger/Messiah/Prophet. At least in Christianity.

While the first 2 chapters talk about what happens when we turn our back to wisdom, they also discuss the importance of not turning our back. We will receive blessings in the knowledge of the Lord. We will gain more understanding by faithfully seeking wisdom. We need to keep our ears, eyes, and heart open to learning as it is pleasing to the Lord.


I challenge you to join me in reading the Proverbs! I would be curious to learn what you learn over the course of the next few weeks/months.

 

Comments

Laurie Kolp said…
A great reminder, Jules... thanks!

Popular posts from this blog

Holi-versary Giveaway!

It's My Turn!!!

Memorial Day~~~Giveaway