Doctorate Degree

So, I am about to take a small step toward a terminal degree. I earned my Master's Degree in History & Culture of the Middle East in 2010; my Master's Thesis was on The House of Wisdom and my concentration area was the Abbasid period. I am trying to decide what I want to focus on for my doctoral degree. I have narrowed it down to three major areas of history: Early American, Middle/Near East, and Russian. I have my reasons for all three.

Early American history has always been a favorite of mine as far as American History is concerned. I love the Colonial and Revolutionary period of our history. How our country came to be an independent nation. How our government was formed. All of it. I also teach American History at a local college, which is great fun! Not to mention my ancestry having a big part in our early history.

I could just continue on and expand on what I've already done in my college career and go more in-depth with the Middle East, but look towards the Near East and antiquity. Tie it all together somehow. I love Biblical history, so this would actually make sense. There's so much to learn, so much to know about that part of the world still. The only downside is having to learn more than one language during my studies. Hebrew would be one and Arabic another. I'm sure I would have to learn at least 3 languages. Not so easy.

Russian History intrigues me. Not the modern stuff; much like Modern American History, I'm not really interested in learning about anything since the late-1800s. I'm more interested in the czars and the Turks and Byzantines invading and all of that. Now, as I've looked into the timeline of Russia's history, there is a lot of the Middle and Near East intertwined. Does this make the most sense then? I don't know.

I have a lot of thinking to do. And a lot more preliminary research, lol.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Holi-versary Giveaway!

It's My Turn!!!

Memorial Day~~~Giveaway